Our skin is a detoxification organ—we excrete toxins through our sweat. And boy do we have a lotta toxins to excrete! We are bombarded daily with tobacco, pesticides, food additives, heavy metals, car exhaust, food allergens, sugar, bacteria, viruses, yeast, and more. Our liver is overwhelmed trying to clear all of these toxins, which can result in fatigue, poor digestion, cell mutations, and more. One of the simplest ways we can help our body detoxify is by making time to bathe!
It’s easy to sweat out some nastiness in a hot bath! To amplify the effects, add some or all of these to your bath water:
- 2 Cups or more of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate)
- 1-2 Cups of baking soda.
- A few drops of essential oils—lavendar and tea tree work nice, but so do others (avoid sage which decreases sweating and peppermint which is cooling)
- Add freshly juiced ginger, strong ginger tea, or powdered ginger.
- Drink ginger tea or chai tea
- Dry brush before your bath
- Wrap up in blankets and keep on sweating after
Now, of course, be smart about your bathing, if you have heart problems, are pregnant, or are under medical supervision, check with your health practitioner first. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water (not just ginger tea) before, during, and after your bath to stay hydrated.